Question for Fedora users of Garmin nuvi GPS

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Wed Jul 9 13:26:05 UTC 2014

On Tue, 2014-07-08 at 21:32 -0500, Steven Ulrick wrote:
> Hello, Everyone
> I know that I can just go drive to a computer that has Windows
> installed on it and get this over with, but I shouldn't have to do
> that...
> I have new Garmin nuvi65LM GPS and of course the "GarminExpress"
> updating program that they force you to use only runs on Windows and
> Mac.  I tried installing the Windows version using Wine, with no luck.
> I then successfully installed GarminExpress in a virtual machine of
> Windows 7 that I have installed on Virtual Box.  When it tries to
> detect my device, it says that it can't...

Which version of VirtualBox? The one on the Fedora repos doesn't support
access to USB devices since that requires a non-free license. You need
the free-to-use one from virtualbox.org (they have a repo file you can
install for updates). And of course enable the specific device from the
VB panel.

poc