Question for Fedora users of Garmin nuvi GPS

Michael D. Setzer II mikes at kuentos.guam.net
Wed Jul 9 21:36:33 UTC 2014

On 9 Jul 2014 at 22:52, DB wrote:

Date sent:      	Wed, 09 Jul 2014 22:52:47 +0200
From:           	DB <Freddog_de at yahoo.co.uk>
To:             	users at lists.fedoraproject.org
Subject:        	Re: Question for Fedora users of Garmin nuvi GPS
Send reply to:  	Freddog_de at yahoo.co.uk,
	Community support for Fedora users
<users at lists.fedoraproject.org>

> On 07/09/2014 04:58 PM, users-request at lists.fedoraproject.org wrote: >
> Subject: > Re: Question for Fedora users of Garmin nuvi GPS > From: >
> Patrick O'Callaghan <pocallaghan at gmail.com> > Date: > Wed, 09 Jul 2014
> 14:26:05 +0100 > > To: > users at lists.fedoraproject.org > > > On Tue,
> 2014-07-08 at 21:32 -0500, Steven Ulrick wrote: >> >Hello, Everyone >>
> >I know that I can just go drive to a computer that has Windows >>
> >installed on it and get this over with, but I shouldn't have to do >>
> >that... >> >I have new Garmin nuvi65LM GPS and of course the
> "GarminExpress" >> >updating program that they force you to use only
> runs on Windows and >> >Mac.  I tried installing the Windows version
> using Wine, with no luck. >> >I then successfully installed
> GarminExpress in a virtual machine of >> >Windows 7 that I have
> installed on Virtual Box.  When it tries to >> >detect my device, it
> says that it can't... > Which version of VirtualBox? The one on the
> Fedora repos doesn't support > access to USB devices since that
> requires a non-free license. You need > the free-to-use one from
> virtualbox.org (they have a repo file you can > install for updates).
> And of course enable the specific device from the > VB panel. > > poc
> > > Hi,
>
> I've got an old Garmin for the car & an eTrex for in my pocket, I
> update them both from Open Street Maps.  The devvices come up without
> problem & the chosen maps are just copied to the SD card.

Just as an added note: To get access to the usb devices with virtualbox the
user has to have the group vboxusers selected. Otherwise they don't get
access to usb devices.

> Dave
>
> --

  Guam Community College  Computer Center
  mailto:mikes at kuentos.guam.net
  mailto:msetzerii at gmail.com
  http://www.guam.net/home/mikes
  Guam - Where America's Day Begins
  G4L Disk Imaging Project maintainer
  http://sourceforge.net/projects/g4l/

Number of Seti Units Returned:  19,471
(Total Hours: 287,489)

BOINC at HOME CREDITS
ROSETTA     17382374.492388   |   SETI        28713854.759736
ABC         16613838.513356   |   EINSTEIN    27716652.340937