more info on hundreds of dbus-daemons

Rick Walker walker at omnisterra.com
Wed Jul 9 22:51:39 UTC 2014

Hi all,

I'm still working on my problem with hundreds of zombie dbus-daemons.  I
guess it isn't that common of an issue.

After some investigation, I have found that the main culprit seems to be
konsole(1).  I mostly use my system in command-line mode and am
constantly creating and killing konsoles for various jobs.

For some reason, creating a konsole forks a dbus-daemon (like this
output from ps -ef):

    walker   12859     1  0 Jul08 ?        00:00:00
    /bin/dbus-daemon --fork --print-pid 5 --print-address 7 --session

When the konsole terminal is killed, the daemon never goes away.  My
system performance gradually goes downhill and eventually I get a "no
more system file descriptor" error as the number of daemons pile up.

Any suggestions for how to debug or fix this?  Killing the dbus-daemons
locks the window system.  Should I take off the fork option in the dbus
config file?   Is there some way I can start konsoles so that
they do a better job of reaping dbus-daemons?

kind regards
--
Rick Walker