why do we use systemd?

lee lee at yun.yagibdah.de
Wed Jul 9 23:08:01 UTC 2014

Rahul Sundaram <metherid at gmail.com> writes:

> Hi
>

> On Wed, Jul 9, 2014 at 7:19 AM, lee  wrote:
>
>> The bug --- or call it misstatement if you like --- is with systemd in
>> that things can still be started even when they are disabled.
>>

> Err.  no.   Before systemd, the equivalent of mask simply didn't exist and
> there was no systematic way to disable dynamically started services.  So in
> sysvinit,  if a service is D-Bus activated,  you had no good way to control
> that.   systemd for the first time harmonized that process.

That is irrelevant.  I don't know what you don't understand ---
"disabled" means disabled, i. e. cannot be started.  Systemd is buggy
because when you disable a service, the service can still be started.
That means that the service is not disabled.

Besides, dbus shouldn't start any services, that would be insane.

--
Fedora release 20 (Heisenbug)