removing plymouth

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Fri Jul 11 10:49:56 UTC 2014

Ed Greshko writes:

> On 07/11/14 13:11, Balint Szigeti wrote:
> > Can somebody tell me what would happen if I remove Plymouth packages? I
> know it handles the boot screen and the user interaction during boot.
> > Does it mean, if I remove this package I can't examine what happened
> during the boot or I can not boot?
>
> You'll be able to boot just fine.  You'll just see all the "OK"s scrolling
> by as the various components are started.
>
> Not sure what you're thinking the gain will be to remove it.

If plymouth is installed on one of my servers, plymouth gets stuck about
half the time, and nevers goes away.

One of my laptops, that still has plymouth installed, still manages to lock
up maybe 3% of the time. On that laptop, plymouth hasn't yet reached the
annoyance level needed to remove it.

Some kind of a hardware-dependent race condition in plymouth.