live cd install to a LV

Mike Wright mike.wright at mailinator.com
Fri Jul 11 19:36:33 UTC 2014

Hi all,

Is it possible to install a live CD to a logical volume any more?  I've
tried repeatedly and just when I think I've got it the installer refuses
to proceed.

At one time this was possible.  I needed lot of copies of f14 to use as
virtual machines so I installed to hard disk and on completion was
prompted to install to more hard disks.  From that point on it took 70
seconds per copy.

Now it seems that I need a physical partition and to create copies from
that.  Very time consuming, not to mention the lack of flexibility
involved in using physicals vs logicals.

If it is no longer possible what is the culprit and is it possible to
modify it?

Second question: is there anywhere to get zipped copies of o/s images?
I'd like to be able to create installs without having to shut down and
run a live CD.

Thanks for help and pointers,
Mike Wright