OT: Thunderbird spontaneously unsubscribing folders.

Doug dmcgarrett at optonline.net
Sat Jul 12 04:11:28 UTC 2014

On 07/11/2014 11:12 PM, poma wrote:
> On 12.07.2014 02:27, Rolf Turner wrote:
>
>> So how might I upgrade to the latest version?  I must confess that I am
>> running a very elderly version of Fedora (17, to be explicit). I don't
>> dare try to upgrade my Fedora version, given what I have read on this
>> list about the problems that are involved with such upgrades.  I cannot
>> afford to be stuck with a broken system.  I am not sufficiently
>> knowledgeable to be able to fix a broken system and I have no local
>> resources to give me assistance.
>>
>> Would I need a more recent version of Fedora in order to get a more
>> recent version of Thunderbird to run?
>
> Get CentOS 7 Now
> https://www.centos.org/download/
> CentOS mailing list
>

> poma

I'm no expert, but in my experience, Thunderbird runs on just about
anything.
I have run it on a bunch of different Linux distros without any hassle
at all. It usually
comes bundled with the OS as a "ready to run" app. It also runs in all
versions of Windows.

I haven't read everything in this thread, so I don't know if you have
brought your specific problem
to the attention of Mozilla, but you probably should. When you do, make
sure you include both your
Linux distro and revision, and your hardware specifications, especially
the mother board make and
version, the processor, the amount of memory, the free space on your
hard drive, and the size of
your swap partition.

You can get most of this information by running, from a terminal,
su
(input your root password)
lshw

You can copy and paste from a terminal window by highlighting the lines
and then pressing
ctrl + shift + c all at once. If you want to save the output, paste a
copy into a simple
editor like Kate and save it.

It may help if you know the time and date when the problem showed up, if
you know it,
and pass on the name of your Internet provider.

The Mozilla website says this about Linux requirements:
"Linux
"Software Requirements
"Please note that Linux distributors may provide packages for your
distribution which have different requirements.

     "Thunderbird will not run at all without the following libraries or
packages:
         GTK+ 2.18 or higher
         GLib 2.22 or higher
         Pango 1.14 or higher
         X.Org 1.0 or higher (1.7 or higher is recommended)
         libstdc++ 4.3 or higher

     "For optimal functionality, we recommend the following libraries or
packages:
         NetworkManager 0.7 or higher
         DBus 1.0 or higher
         HAL 0.5.8 or higher