fix a broken gnome desktop ? [solved]

Mike Wright mike.wright at mailinator.com
Sat Jul 12 15:21:08 UTC 2014

07/11/2014 11:22 PM, Tim wrote:
> Allegedly, on or about 11 July 2014, Mike Wright sent:
>> Usually there is no mouse after this happens.  A "return" returns me
>> to the login screen and I can choose one of the different desktops
>> from there, all of which work.
>
> Do you have a second test login to try out, one without any
> configuration customisations stored in it?

Thanks Tim,

Had so many sticks in the fire I forgot that approach; should have been
one of the first tests.

Tried that this AM and it didn't work but an error message popped up
long enough to see that it had a problem with gnome-shell-3.10.4-6.fc20.

Yum erase/install gnome-shell gnome-tweak-tool and all is well in happy
land.

Rhetorical question of the day: "Why are gnome3's hidden directories
named .gnome2 ?