Is this proof that systemd is completely broken?

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Sat Jul 12 16:43:00 UTC 2014

So, I would encourage you to ask the systemd list:
for a probably more detailed answer than you might get here.

Or... file a bug if you think you have found one.
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/enter_bug.cgi?product=Fedora&version=20&component=systemd

My theory of what you are seeing revolves around the fact that
the /etc/init.d/network script is NOT a systemd unit file, it's a old
sysvinit script which systemd runs under compatibility.

From http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/NetworkTarget

"network-online.target is a target that actively waits until the nework
is "up", where the definition of "up" is defined by the network
management software"

and I think /etc/init.d/network defines "up" in a way that doesn't mean
that the interfaces have ip's and are passing packets. Just a guess.
Alternately you found a nice bug. ;)

kevin