Is this proof that systemd is completely broken?

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Sat Jul 12 20:43:59 UTC 2014

Kevin Fenzi writes:

> On 12 Jul 2014 22:24:13 +0200
> Anders Wegge Keller <wegge at wegge.dk> wrote:
>
> > > I'm not following your logic here.
> > >
> > > Given 2 ways of reacting to a bug:
> > > A) complain about it on a users mailing list that few developers
> > > follow.
> > > B) report a bug on it that developers will see and be able to
> > > respond to.
> >
> >  C) Report a bug and be ignored, told to fsck off to someplace else,
> >     and be ridiculed to boot.
> >
> >  If you won't admit having seen option C on the bug tracker, I have no
> > need for your opinions.
>
> Sure, that happens sadly. ;(
>
> However, with a bug report (even if it's closed or not acted on):
>
> * If the package gets taken over by someone else, they can see the
>   problem and look to fixing it.
>
> * Other interested parties can see the bug and add their data to it,
>   note that it's still a problem, add workarounds, propose patches.
>
> * There's a solid record of the issue/reports. "look at bug 1234" is
>   much better than "read 10,000 posts on the users list around
>   june/july and try and find the actual bug report in the off topic
>   stuff"
>
> * Even just adding yourself to the bug report can indicate that the
>   problem is more widespread than the one user.
>
> Anyhow, if you don't want to file or add info to bugs, that's your
> decision.

I think that the forest here is being missed for the trees. Previously, I
mentioned that I do not want to submit any systemd bug reports. Besides
bitching just to make me feel better, I am more interested in analyzing
systemd's bugs and developing temporary workarounds, like the one that
involves this dummy service, in order to be able to bring up network
services sanely.

I think that systemd should not be fixed. I think it should be dumped, and
replaced. It's fundamentally broken, even without this latest fallout. So,
why would I want to report systemd bugs, and help improve it? I can't think
of any reason why I'd want to do that.

And I suspect that, perhaps subconsciously, he feels exactly the same way.
And I can't blame him.