Is this proof that systemd is completely broken?

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Sat Jul 12 20:45:56 UTC 2014

On 07/12/2014 11:43 AM, Bill Oliver wrote:
> I really am starting to see this as an example of the Microsoft-ish
> philosophy of "tell the users where they must go and let them catch up
> as they can."   It works when the users don't have any other choice. But
> then, I guess Gentoo is the only distro left that hasn't adopted
> systemd, or will be doing so shortly.  I seriously considered switching
> to Debian, but no joy.

If you're really that unhappy about such things as systemd, there's
nothing to stop you from rolling your own distro.  Start with Linux from
Scratch (The Wikipedia article still shows it using Sysvinit.) put in
what you think an "old-school" linux should have and call it Steampunk
Linux to grab a bit of glamour and avoid looking like you're just
unwilling to accept progress.  (Not that I'm accusing you of that; from
what I can see, you just don't consider systemd to *be* progress.)  Who
knows?  It might even be popular.