Adobereader won't install

bitlord bitlord0xff at gmail.com
Sat Jul 12 21:24:35 UTC 2014

On Sat, 12 Jul 2014 14:13:12 -0400
Mickey <binarynut at comcast.net> wrote:

> On 07/12/2014 02:07 PM, Mickey wrote:
> > Fedora 20 /KDE
> >
> > yum -y localinstall AdbeRdr9.5.5-1_i486linux_enu.rpm Yum does
> > install AdbeRdr9.5.5-1_i486linux_enu.rpm
> >
> > but when I run the command acroread the Adobereader won't start and
> > nothing shows in /var/log/messages.
> >

> > I Downloaded the AdbeRdr9.5.5-1_i486linux_enu.bin and installed it
> > on a NEW F20 Box and it works perfect.
> >
> > But on two other previous boxes I  uninstalled
> > AdbeRdr9.5.5-1_i486linux_enu.rpm that will not execute and
> > installed the AdbeRdr9.5.5-1_i486linux_enu.bin, it installed with
> > no problems, but I'm still back to the old thing, it will not
> > execute, just a flash of the Red Adobereader Splash screen for a
> > second and then nothing.
> >
> > There has Got to be something with Ferdora 20 that is causing this
> > problem, now I have got two boxes that will not work with
> > AdobeReader-9.5.5 on Fedora 20.
> >
> > I have to have AdobeReader-9.5.5 , because the FOSS pdf readers
> > will not allow me to Edit and Print PDF files Online at the Boy
> > Scouts of america website.
> >

> I forgot to add , I'am running a 32 bit Fedora-20 install on all of
> the boxes.

I'm not using proprietary closed source software, but try running it
from a command line to see if there is any error from the program. You
can also try to check if it is missing any library (if it is not
statically linked) with 'ldd <binary>', also if you have SElinux
enabled (which is default on Fedora) check for its messages (I think
in /var/log/audit/audit.log) (maybe it blocks some "actions" from you
software, and if it does, you can temporarily try disabling SELinux and
testing it again)