OT: Thunderbird spontaneously unsubscribing folders.

Rolf Turner r.turner at auckland.ac.nz
Sun Jul 13 00:32:37 UTC 2014

On 13/07/14 12:14, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 07/13/14 07:35, Rolf Turner wrote:
>>
>> Yes, I had to muck around a bit to get Adobe Reader installed; yum
>> didn't "directly" work (probably because my Fedora 17 is EOL).
>>
>> According to notes that I kept, the recipe (found somewhere on the
>> web) that I used was:
>>
>>> su
>>> rpm -ivh http://linuxdownload.adobe.com/adobe-release/adobe-release-i386-1.0-1.noarch.rpm
>>> rpm --import /etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-adobe-linux
>>> yum -y install nspluginwrapper.i686 AdobeReader_enu
>>

>> This seemed to work .... until now???
>>
>> The output from the ldd command is lengthy, so I am sending it as an attachment.
>>
>> Thanks very much for taking the time to think about my problem.
>
> OK.... Seems like reader is installed fine. You can prove this by
> running "acroread" and bringing up the reader.....which is a 32-bit
> application.

I use acroread all the time and it seems to work just fine.

> I'm pretty sure the error message is harmless as I don't think
> t-birdmakes use of that particular plug-in.

I kind of figured that.  Still I don't like having these little
untidinesses in my system.  Upsets my OC craving for order.

> Now, you probably will run into a bit of difficulty or
> inconvenience.You have 2 copies of t-bird installed. One is well integrated with
> Fedora. The other not. So, if you were to click on a mailto: link in a
> web page, the older version of T-Bird will start. Also, at the moment,
> you are probably starting T-Bird from a command line. Not sure if you
> want to go about fixing that.

I think I know how to handle that.  I am *currently* starting T-bird
from the command line, but now that I am reasonably happy that the
upgrade is working OK I'm pretty sure that I can tidy things up and make
T-bird start from a clickable icon.

> FWIW, when I previously replied I didn't notice that my message went
> directly to you. This AM I resent to the list for completeness. If you
> want to keep this discussion off-list, it is fine by me.

Not a problem to stay on-list.  I just replied to your off-list message
before I saw your on-list one.  I am cc-ing this reply to the list.

> Another thing..... On my systems I have....
>
> [egreshko at meimei opt]$ rpm -q AdobeReader_enu
> AdobeReader_enu-9.5.5-1.i486
>
> I don't think that latest, and last, version is in the Adobe repo. I
> downloaded the rpm from Adobe and installed directly.

I just did "rpm -q AdobeReader_enu" on my laptop and got

> AdobeReader_enu-9.5.5-1.i486

which is, unless my eyes deceive me, exactly what you got.  So (unless I
misunderstand) all is well, nicht wahr?

Thanks for your help.

cheers,

Rolf Turner