Is this proof that systemd is completely broken?

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Sun Jul 13 01:21:40 UTC 2014

Stephen Morris writes:

> Hi Sam,
>     I don't know anything about Systemd, nor have I read the rest of the
> named-chroot.service statements it seems to me that you are requesting that

Well, technically it's not "my" named-chroot.service. This is the standard
named-chroot RPM's service file, that it installs. You do a "yum install
bind-chroot", that's what you'll end up getting installed.

> named-chroot.service be started after network.target but before nss-
> lookup.target and that it needs nss-lookup.target to be active, which to me
> seems to be a deadly embrace. Based on what I think you are saying in your
> email I would have thought that logically your "before" statement should be
> removed and your "after" statement should be     after network.target
> network-online.target nss-lookup.target    , but then I am not sure how
> systemd works.

Don't feel bad about not knowing how systemd works. You're in good company.

named-chroot.service wants to be started before nss-lookup.target because
bind's mission in life is to provide host/IP lookups, and everything that
requires working host/IP lookup, according to systemd.special(7), specifies
itself to be after nss-lookup.target; so if bind is going to provide host/IP
lookup, it needs to come up first. That makes logical sense.

But systemd's entire dependency model is headache-inducing. It naturally
leads to impossible situations. More than once, I observed systemd spewing
errors about circular dependencies, at system boot.

Oy, what a mess. At least today, with invaluable help from fellow sufferers,
I think finally figured out what's wrong with the stock service files
installed by a bunch of server RPMs, and how to work around it.