fix a broken gnome desktop ? [solved]

Mike Wright mike.wright at mailinator.com
Sun Jul 13 20:10:16 UTC 2014

07/13/2014 12:22 PM, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Jul 2014 21:00:44 -0700
> Mike Wright <mike.wright at mailinator.com> wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the tip Kevin.  I deleted the .gnome directories before I
>> logged back into Gnome3, but I've also logged into Xfce4.  So I just
>> deleted them again and logged into Gnome3.  They are not there.
>> Everything is pointing at Xfce4 which confuses me because it has its
>> own .xfce4 directory.
>>
>> I'll keep my eyes open for the next few days and avoid Xfce4.  That
>> should give me an unequivocal answer.
>
> FWIW, Xfce also has moved to xdg directories for things. ;)

Ok.  I haven't logged into Xfce4 since I last posted and have been
logged into Gnome3 the whole time.

At 2125 pst yesterday .gnome2_hidden showed up.  It is empty.
At 2304 pst yesterday .gnome2 showed up.  It contains the empty
directory "accels".  It also contains a zero length file named
"firefox.im6VUW".  Could be from one of the gnome plugins.  I don't
know.  But given that they are all empty they seem to be irrelevant.