partitioning

Mike Wilson mike.zagoti.wilson at gmail.com
Wed Jul 16 17:54:02 UTC 2014

On 07/16/2014 07:21 PM, dustin kempter wrote:
> Hi all, I am an SA in training and ive been reading a lot about
> the importance of separating out your workspace/server into
> separate partitions such as /, /data, /home, /ftp, /usr, /boot vs
> dividing it into just a /, /boot, /data. and it seems that doing it
> how Ive been reading about with more partitions is more secure but
> what about when one partition becomes full? isnt that more of a
> problem vs one big /data partition where that is not an issue? what
> would you guys say the best solution would be? also read that you
> want to have twice as much swap as RAM and that dividing swap into
> 2 partitions helps with performance. is this true?
>
> thanks

First you should read about the FHS: http://www.pathname.com/fhs/
You don't have to know everything, but so you get some general idea
what you want to separate for which purpose

For space problems you can use LVM:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Lvm
I think BTRFS has its own solution but that's just for the record and
you should really understand LVM and the basics about partitioning before.

Try with some virtual machines and different distros ( so you really
know what to do and not only with the help of some specific installer)
some settings so you get a feeling for it.

When you know the basics and security is important then I would
suggest: http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/File_System_Security
Even though it's a bit different for Fedora.

If you don't need swap then don't use it. If you need any and/or how
much depends on your needs. And I don't see how 2 partitions would
help (except there's some kind of RAID).