wanted: performance laptop, no windoze tax

Pete Travis lists at petetravis.com
Wed Jul 16 20:17:54 UTC 2014

On Jul 16, 2014 9:07 AM, "Neal Becker" <ndbecker2 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Sorry, I know this subject has been written about before.  But google
shows
> mostly 5 year old info.
>
> What are some recommendations for a relatively high performance laptop
that
> works well on linux, and without paying windoze tax?
>
> --

You're aware that in a lot of (most? All?) cases, it's actually *Microsoft*
that pays the "windoze tax", right?  They want to get their product in
front of users and want their latest and geatest, like win8, to be popular.
They might actually provide incentives to the OEM ranging from license
discounts to free licences and then some.

My advice is to pick a machine based on your needs and budget and don't
worry too much about keeping your cash out of Microsoft's pocket.  With
Fedora you won't be getting MS news or bing results in the shell or using
their app store; that pretty much does the job these days.

I have a Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro, a flagship Windows8 convertible ultrabook.  It
works great, and I have never booted Windows on it.

--Pete