wanted: performance laptop, no windoze tax

Ed Greshko ed.greshko at greshko.com
Wed Jul 16 23:58:53 UTC 2014

On 07/17/14 07:41, Temlakos wrote:
> And let's see if I further have you straight: nobody's going to get a significant discount, or indeed even an insignificant discount, by buying a "bare" machine with no OS installed.

I don't know what you consider "significant" but a quick search turns up articles such as this one....

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-02-22/microsoft-said-to-cut-windows-price-70-to-counter-rivals.html

which indicates....

"Manufacturers will be charged $15 to license Windows 8.1 and preinstall it on devices that retail for less than $250, instead of the usual fee of $50, said the people, who asked not to be named because the details aren’t public."

I suspect that even the $50 charge is highest/starting price to manufactures and subject additional volume discounting.