partitioning

Mike Wilson mike.zagoti.wilson at gmail.com
Thu Jul 17 09:05:45 UTC 2014

On 07/17/2014 12:57 AM, poma wrote:
> On 16.07.2014 22:20, Mike Wilson wrote:
>> If you have no idea how much you would need then you could search for
>> some requirements if it is a specific program that needs much. Since I
>> don't know what the load will be and how much ram he has there's no way
>> to make a general statement. I always use a virtual machine on which I
>> test new things and create there a bigger swap file if needed.
>>
>> At least that's how I think about it.
>>

> For some simple cases may not be necessary, however at least you don't
> want leave folks without S4 functionality.

Yeah, hibernation is for me one of the reasons why a normal workstation
user would need swap. But there are many people who just shut down and
don't need/want more... It really depends on the user's needs. However
hibernation is something I should have mentioned.

> And with the time I somehow got the impression, the swap-piness question
> isn't quite simple as it might seem.
> However.
>

> poma

You made me curious. What's your advice/procedure to determine the size
of swap?