wanted: performance laptop, no windoze tax

Andre Robatino robatino at fedoraproject.org
Thu Jul 17 12:18:17 UTC 2014

Pete Travis <lists <at> petetravis.com> writes:

> Yes, my experience is that buying user devices like laptops and desktops
(servers are a different story) > are not cheaper without Windows
preinstalled.  That wasn't the case ~10 years ago when I
> started asking, and it wasn't the case recently when deploying ~100
machines for $dayjob that
> were immediately reimaged using our Windows site licence without ever
booting the OEM install.

Yes, if anything I've found that no-OS machines are if anything more
expensive, due to the lack of the "crapware discount". And there are
utilities you can use to backup up the existing activation, and then do a
clean install, getting rid of the crapware. And on occasion Windows is
necessary for doing things (like updating firmware) that aren't supported on
Linux, and you don't need to devote a lot of disk space to it just to have
it around.