any decent mysql/mariadb form gui for Fedora? was: working howto for accessing mysql/mariadb from libre office?

M. Fioretti mfioretti at nexaima.net
Sun Jul 20 13:43:11 UTC 2014

On Sun, Jul 20, 2014 15:30:41 PM +0200, Marco Fioretti wrote:

> NONE of the official howtos, forums, whatever around contains a
> usable, step by step description of what should be done to connect
> Base to a local mariadb / mysql database which is running and
> already accessible from the same computer, both from the command
> line and from php through the local web server.

and here is the _reason_ why I'm wasting all that time with
libreoffice/openoffice:

I need a mysql/mariadb gui that makes it easy to:

create COMPACT, READABLE, QUICK forms in which I can quickly add or
modify records to an already existing database with many columns. By
this I mean something that:

- lets me arrange the layout so that all fields fill in the smallest
  possible window, but creates BY ITSELF (i.e. reading the table
  structure) selection boxes with all the acceptable values for a
  certain column.

- makes it easy to query the db and get a COMPACT list of all the
  matching records, e.g. just one or two columns

Sure, LibreOffice, OpenOffice and possibly even the corresponding
koffice/calligra component can do that in theory. But they are all too
complicated to arrange, when they work at all, see my earlier
message. And the mysql/mariadb guis I've seen are even more uselessly
(for my use case) complicated, being geared more to db
_administration_ than usage.

Suggestions? (I would even go for a local LAMP solution, if there were
libraries that DO make all the work above by themselves. I found
Formit, or something like that, but it seems unmantained...)

TIA,
	Marco
--

M. Fioretti http://mfioretti.com                   http://stop.zona-m.net