eth0 again

Tom Horsley horsley1953 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 21 00:55:46 UTC 2014

On Sun, 20 Jul 2014 23:51:27 +0000 (UTC)
Amadeus W.M. wrote:

> This is degenerating in an off-topic discussion. The question is how to
> rename the network device back to eth0. Let's focus.

At this point, "use the source, Luke" appears to be the only option :-(

I see on my system in dmesg output this string:

[    4.173161] systemd-udevd[420]: renamed network interface eth0 to em1

If I run "strings" on /usr/lib/systemd/systemd-udevd, I find this:

renamed network interface %s to %s

So, if you really want to be fanatical, you could download
the source rpm for systemd, "rpmbuild -bp" it to expand
the source tree, then search the source for the string
"renamed network interface" and work backward from there
to see if there is a path the code can be induced to
go through that won't do the rename :-).

Or maybe it would be simpler to use a binary editor on
the "Matlab" code and change all "eth0" strings to "em1" :-).