new kernels & rebooting

Heinz Diehl htd at fritha.org
Mon Jul 21 16:37:58 UTC 2014

On 21.07.2014, poma wrote:

> Your expertise with kernel would be very welcome for the Fedora kernel also,
> when you offer Heinz. ;)

Here's what I'm doing (and what I basically have been doing in many years):

1. Download a kernel from kernel.org
2. Extract it into /usr/src
3. Apply some minor patches
4. Copy my .config into the kernel sourcetree (alternatively "make
   config", "make menuconfig" or thelike - in this case, you can of
   course omit 5.)
5. make oldconfig
5. make -j4
5. make modules_install
6. make install
7. reboot

In short: a simple kernel compile/install. Your kernel will live
peacefully alongside with your distribution kernel(s).

For those who just want to try: a good starting point for a customized
.config would be the .config of your distribution kernel (see /boot).
When I'm configuring a kernel for a new machine, I usually load and
connect my stuff and do a "make localmodconfig" and take this as a
starting point for further customizing, as I'm (more or less) familiar
with what I need and where I must look for it in the .config.