new kernels & rebooting

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 21 19:19:00 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 2:17 PM, Heinz Diehl <htd at fritha.org> wrote:
> On 21.07.2014, Tom H wrote:
>
>> You'd be better off replacing the second step 5 by "make rpm-pkg" and
>> the last step 5 and step 6 by "rpm -i ...".
>
> No, I wouldn't. My .config is highly customized, and the way I
> described just fits my needs perfectly. I'm quite aware of the
> possibility to build a kernel via rpm, but I don't want to do that.
>
> Just to make it clear: what I described is just what I do and have
> done.  There's more than one way to do it. There's no "wrong" or
> "right".

You'd still be able to use your config - the first step 5.

The method that I suggested is right because (and I made a mistake
earlier and shouldn't have suggested that you use rpm) you can install
your kernel with "yum install ..." and remove it with "yum remove ..."
- and use it on more than one system if necessary.