running vncserver via systemctl on Fedora 20

Ed Greshko ed.greshko at greshko.com
Mon Jul 21 22:20:47 UTC 2014

On 07/22/14 03:33, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> I have run vncserver for years, naturally as 'service vncserver start'.  But now it is all systemd and systemctl.  Fine.  So I think I have to configure it for my user, as I always use to edit /etc/sysconfig/vncserver with:
>
> VNCSERVERS="2:alice 3:bob"
>
> So I found I had to:
>
> cp /lib/systemd/system/vncserver at .service /etc/systemd/system/vncserver at .service
>
> but I could not figure out what I needed to edit in this file.  So I tried to start the service with:
>
> systemctl start vncserver
>
> And got:
>
> Failed to issue method call: Unit vncserver.service failed to load: No such file or directory.
>

> So what am I missing?
>
> Also in ~/.vnc/xstartup I changed the execute to:
>
> exec gnome-session &
>
> But the xstartup is created the first time I would start the server...
>
> So things are really working differently and I would appreciate some pointers.
>
> thanks

First of all....   If you have a fresh install of F18(maybe F17) and above you'd find....

[root at f20f sysconfig]# cat /etc/sysconfig/vncservers
# THIS FILE HAS BEEN REPLACED BY /lib/systemd/system/vncserver at .service

The point being, that file isn't used any longer.

Have you tried simply following the instructions in /lib/systemd/system/vncserver at .service ?

# Quick HowTo:
# 1. Copy this file to /etc/systemd/system/vncserver at .service
# 2. Edit <USER> and vncserver parameters appropriately
#   ("runuser -l <USER> -c /usr/bin/vncserver %i -arg1 -arg2")
# 3. Run `systemctl daemon-reload`
# 4. Run `systemctl enable vncserver@:<display>.service`

Works for me....

Now, you'll have to multiple unique /etc/systemd/system/vncserver files to enable different users and ports.