vncserver not providing gnome desktop

Ed Greshko ed.greshko at greshko.com
Tue Jul 22 03:52:50 UTC 2014

On 07/22/14 11:33, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> Progress made.  In the end I had to get IPv4 addressing working, as VNC only understands IPv4.
>
> I am connecting over the crossover cable to the headless system via vnc, but the screen just shows the little action box on the upper left and nothing else.
>
> I have edited the service file and added the geometry line option and reloaded the deamons.  No change.
>
> I edited the xstartup file as I always do to exec gnome, but nope.
>

> I am missing something here.  Obviously...
>
> any tips are greatly appreciated.

As far as the $USER/.vnc/xstartup  I've never edited it to start gnome, it just does it by default.  I suppose you can try deleting the file and have it recreated the next time the server is started.

FWIW, I do edit $USER/.vnc/xstartup to change the lines with

exec /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc

exec /home/user/.xinitrc

and I create a /home/user/.xinitrc containing

exec ck-launch-session dbus-launch --exit-with-session startkde

to give me a KDE desktop.