Figuring out a headless server's zeroconf addr

Ed Greshko ed.greshko at greshko.com
Tue Jul 22 04:35:41 UTC 2014

On 07/21/14 22:55, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> I have a headless system that I cannot connect to.  So I was thinking to put a direct connection to it and my notebook.  Both ethernets would use the zeroconf (169.254.0.0/16) addresses.  I could then use fping
>
> fping -g 169.254.0.0/16
>
> And SHOULD be able to get its address, and then SSH into the box.
>
> Any other thoughts?  I can't get to the box to recable it and reboot it (as that is the only way I can figure out for it to readdress eth0) until this evening.

To turn on zeroconf you need to modify the link to use BOOTPROTO=autoip.  (Shows as "Local-Link" in the nm gui)

You'll then have something along the lines of...

[egreshko at f20f ~]$ route -n
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
169.254.0.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.0.0     U     0      0        0 p2p1
224.0.0.0       0.0.0.0         240.0.0.0       U     1      0        0 p2p1