new kernels & rebooting

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue Jul 22 13:15:52 UTC 2014

On Tue, 2014-07-22 at 13:25 +0100, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> In theory, for each kernel update you could look at the changelog to
> see what was actually updated and why, and then decide if you need to
> run the updated kernel or not. But most people typically don't want to
> invest the time and effort to do that

You'd have to understand all the things the update covered, to make
sense of it.  The last update lists all sorts of things that I have no
idea about.

e.g. filter: prevent nla from peeking beyond eom
     Fix dma unmap error in jme driver
     pty race leading to memory corruption
     Fix TUN performance regression
     Add backported drm qxl fix

Unfamiliar acronyms galore!

While that gobbledegook might be of interest to coders, it's beyond what
average computer users are going to want to know about.

--
tim at localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp

Linux 3.14.8-200.fc20.i686 #1 SMP Mon Jun 16 22:36:56 UTC 2014 i686

All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted, there is no point trying
to privately email me, I will only read messages posted to the public lists.