Figuring out a headless server's zeroconf addr

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Tue Jul 22 14:51:44 UTC 2014

> On Jul 22 22:19, Ed Greshko wrote:
>> On 07/22/14 00:34, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>>> Crossover cable.  Is that enough of a 'same network'?
>> FWIW, I've not seen the need to use crossover cables in years.  Even
>> when connected peer-to-peer the HW is now capable to detect this
>> situation and auto configure itself using standard cables.
> Depends on the network speed of the involved NICs, usually.  10 or 100
> Mbit/s NICs typically need crossover cables, 1G NICs and faster provide
> auto-negotiation(*).
>

> (*) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medium_Dependent_Interface#Auto_MDI-X
There are SOME 100Mb that work OK.  But watch for the 2 wire 100Mb with
POE coming out probably in a year or two.  The target market is for
sensors (in buildings) or car networks.  Vastly lowered wire costs.

No crossover needed, as it is all on 1 pair of wires!

The 1 pair PoDL is 802.3bu.  The 100Mb is still a study group.  I think
the PAR will be ready for the November meeting.