vnc not into gnome but Xfce but still not working

Ed Greshko ed.greshko at greshko.com
Wed Jul 23 06:20:52 UTC 2014

On 07/23/14 13:47, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> OK.  I believe I figured out what is wrongish.
>
> I normally run gnome, so in my ~/.vnc/xstartup I have:
>
> exec gnome-session &
>
> as the last line.  But this fedora 20 arm system is running Xfce! So after a quick google search, I changed that to:
>
> exec xfce4-session &
>
> But still I get vnc having a blank screen.  That no desktop is running in vnc.  /var/log/messages says:

As I've mentioned in an earlier post....  I've got no problems to run different desktops.

FWIW, I do edit the default $USER/.vnc/xstartup to change the lines with

exec /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc

exec /home/user/.xinitrc

and I create a /home/user/.xinitrc containing

exec ck-launch-session dbus-launch --exit-with-session startkde

OR

exec ck-launch-session dbus-launch --exit-with-session startxfce4

You may want to consider trying that as I recall there being a problem if you don't involve dbus.

FWIW, this is on 2 3.15.6-200.fc20.x86_64 systems.