kindof fixed - Re: vnc not into gnome but Xfce but still not working

Ed Greshko ed.greshko at greshko.com
Wed Jul 23 14:20:55 UTC 2014

On 07/23/14 21:49, Robert Moskowitz wrote:

> On 07/23/2014 07:40 AM, Ed Greshko wrote:
>> On 07/23/14 19:34, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>>> So I just cp your xstartup to my system and it works now. thanks.
>>>
>>> So what is wrong with the default script? I am assuming I need to file a bug report on it.
>> Nothing is wrong with the default script.
>>
>> if [ -x /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc ]; then
>> exec /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc
>> fi
>>
>> [egreshko at f20f ~]$ file /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc
>> /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc: POSIX shell script, ASCII text executable
> Fine.  then why switching to Michael Setzer's xstartup result in vnc working?
>
> The default did not work.  His does.  why?

For the same reason my method would also have worked.

The /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc which exists is exec'd since it does exist and is executable.  Subsequently /etc/X11/xinit/Xclients also exists and will be exec'd and that is pretty much useful only for GNOME or KDE.  So....  /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc needs to be modified to get xfce to run.

Michael's is modified to suit the need.

I also modified it, but choose to do it in a different fashion.

Both methods work fine.

You could have also modified /etc/X11/xinit/Xclients to include support for xfce.  But, that is probably a bad idea since it very well may get changed on updates.