python error in updated yum FC20

Barry txscope at fastmail.fm
Tue Jul 29 19:06:09 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jul 29, 2014, at 12:44 PM, Tim wrote:
> Allegedly, on or about 28 July 2014, Barry sent:
> > You were right. I booted with a rescue disk and fsck found many errors
> > on the root partition. many Anyway they seemed to be fixable, and on
> > rebooting, I was able to reinstall yum and then other stuff.
> >
> > The only problem is that now I lost my top and bottom panels. This is
> > an XFCE spin, and I wanted to take a look at it. I liked what I saw,
> > but I don't really trust the drive. it's an old laptop, and probably
> > not worth a lot more time.
>
> To have a look, without wasting money on a new hard drive, you could try
> making an install that runs off a USB flash drive.  They're cheap, and
> immediately re-useable, if you don't thrash it to death with your test.
>
> Sure, a live DVD could give you a trial look, too.  But it's such a
> painfully slow medium.
>
> --
> [tim at localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp
> Linux 3.9.10-100.fc17.x86_64 #1 SMP Sun Jul 14 01:31:27 UTC 2013 x86_64
>
> All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted, there is no point
> trying to privately email me, I will only read messages posted to the
> public lists.
>
> George Orwell's '1984' was supposed to be a warning against tyranny, not
> a set of instructions for supposedly democratic governments.

Thanks, that makes sense, but I managed to fix the two things that were
bothering me and I'm liking XFCE.

I had to fix the panel  after fixing many disk problems with fsck and
updating.

I weirdly lost my panels. Rather the shortcuts in the panels, not the
panels themselves. Once I figured out how to repopulate them, all that
seemed fine.

I also wanted to get multimedia playback working -- with nonfree
formats.  I installed all the codecs but neither Parole or VLC worked
right. Mostly the video was frozen or went to black. That turned out to
be a driver problem solved with installing akmod-nvidia.