Fedora-like Linux for 1.99GB RAM?

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Sun Jun 1 11:33:48 UTC 2014

On 05/31/2014 04:36 PM, Oliver Ruebenacker wrote:

>      Hello,
>
>   I need a new OS for an old computer, an about 10 years old x86. I
> upgraded RAM from 500MB to 2GB, though Windows XP reports 1.99 GB.
>
>   I would have installed Fedora, but they say the requirements are at
> least 4GB RAM.
>
>   Is there any Linux distro similar to Fedora that works for 1.99 GB RAM?
>
>   I'd love to use KDE, although if it really doesn't work, I could
> also settle for Xfce.

I regularly run Fedora AND Centos on older systems, but normally only 5
years old.  Both continue to support 32 bit and as long as memory is
really 1GB install graphically just fine.  If memory is less, then they
go to text based install.

Further, although RHEL7 is saying 64 bit only, there will be a Centos 7
SIG that will do a 32 bit version.

So you should be fine.