Adding minimal X windows

Matthew Saltzman mjs at clemson.edu
Sun Jun 1 14:53:52 UTC 2014

I built a Fedora 20 system as a server, without a desktop.  It turns
out, no X server is installed at all in that case.  I'd like to add a
minimal X server without adding a complete desktop environment, so I can
log in remotely and run system configuration tools.  The documentation
I've found suggests

        yum groupinstall "Basic X Window System"

or

        yum groupinstall "X Window System"

but neither of those groups exist.  There is a Basic Desktop group, but
it installs a bunch of unnecessary desktop tools.

What's the best way to get just a basic X server in Fedora 20?

TIA.
--
Matthew Saltzman
Clemson University Math Sciences