Samsung ML-2165W printer help

Mark LaPierre marklapier at aol.com
Sun Jun 1 17:29:42 UTC 2014

On 06/01/14 12:39, Mike Wright wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Just bought the Samsung ML-2165W/XAC printer because it advertised Linux
> support.  Downloaded and installed the driver (it claims installation
> successful).
>
> The user manual seems to be flat out wrong.  The Linux install
> directions seem to be for Windows.
>

> "--------------------
> When the Administrator Login window appears, type "root" in the Login
> field and enter the system password.
>
> You must log in as a super user (root) to install the machine software.
> If you are not a super user, ask your system administrator.
>
> From the Samsung website, download the Unified Linux Driver package to
> your computer.
>
> Right-click the Unified Linux Driver package and extract the package.
>
> Double click cdroot > autorun.
> "--------------------
>
> Note: there is no such named package and their is neither a file named
> "cdroot" nor one named "autorun".
>
> At any rate, when I attempt to print a page the printer's activity light
> flashes for a long time then stops.  CUPS reports "completed".
>
> This occurs regardless of whether there is paper loaded or not.
>
> Cups isn't being very helpful here either.  Almost anything
> administrator related tells me "Forbidden", but nowhere can I find a way
> to "Login" to it.
>
> Part of me says the driver doesn't work and part of me says the printer
> is DOA.
>
> Has anybody else had any success with this particular printer model?
>
> Thanks for any help or tips,
> Mike Wright

I have an ML-1740 that works perfectly.  I share it out with SAMBA to my
wife's Win 7 laptop.

Samsung is a bit club handed but they were among the first to support
Linux long before it became fashionable.  In their early driver package
one of the CUP filters was installed with the wrong permissions.  When I
fixed that all was well.  It's probably something simple like that.

--
    _
   °v°