Adding minimal X windows

Matthew Saltzman mjs at clemson.edu
Sun Jun 1 18:12:27 UTC 2014

On Sun, 2014-06-01 at 11:24 -0400, Derrik Walker v2.0 wrote:
> I usually just intall xterm.  It will get the minimum you need.  If
> you want a window manager as well as min X, install it too ( I usually
> us fvwm for cases like that ).

Installing xterm doesn't work. Apparently, for many of these X-based
tools, nobody thought to include X as a dependency.

        $ sudo yum install xterm
        [sudo] password for mjs:
        Loaded plugins: langpacks, refresh-packagekit
        Resolving Dependencies
        --> Running transaction check
        ---> Package xterm.x86_64 0:297-1.fc20 will be installed
        --> Finished Dependency Resolution

        Dependencies Resolved

         Package         Arch             Version                Repository        Size
        Installing:
         xterm           x86_64           297-1.fc20             fedora           461 k

        Transaction Summary
        Install  1 Package

        Total download size: 461 k
        Installed size: 1.2 M
        Is this ok [y/d/N]: y
        Downloading packages:
        xterm-297-1.fc20.x86_64.rpm                                | 461 kB   00:02
        Running transaction check
        Running transaction test
        Transaction test succeeded
        Running transaction
          Installing : xterm-297-1.fc20.x86_64                                      1/1
          Verifying  : xterm-297-1.fc20.x86_64                                      1/1

        Installed:
          xterm.x86_64 0:297-1.fc20

        Complete!

Xfce Desktop still pulls a bunch of multimedia and such.

I have it at least partially working by installing xorg-x11-xinit, which
pulled in a few other packages, and adding PackageKit-gtk3-module by
hand.

Thanks, though.