mailinglist issues (Was: Fedora-like Linux for 1.99GB RAM?)

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wolfgang at wsrcc.com
Sun Jun 1 22:28:24 UTC 2014

Ed Greshko <ed.greshko at greshko.com> writes:
> On 06/01/14 10:14, Sudhir Khanger wrote:
>

>         Off topic. Is this email sent from your personal email server?
>     I am asking because Google shows a warning that they can't verify
>     if this message was sent by the wsrcc.com.
>
> You get this warning because of this header in the email.....

>        spf=pass (google.com: domain of users-bounces at lists.fedoraproject.org designates 209.132.181.2 as permitted sender) smtp.mail=users-bounces at lists.fedoraproject.org;
>        dkim=neutral (body hash did not verify) header.i=@;
>        dmarc=fail (p=REJECT dis=NONE) header.from=wsrcc.com

Bingo.  Right on the money.

> I've not looked into it....but I don't think dkim/dmarc works very
> well with mailing lists.

It can.  Mailman has already been changed to take ownership of the
"From:" line pointing it to some list-owned address and injecting a
reply-to optionally to allow unicast msgs to work too.

The problem is that mailing lists forging From addresses looks the same
to software as a spammer forging the same.  No progress is going to be
made till mailing lists stop doing that.

-wolfgang