Adding minimal X windows

Sudhir Khanger sudhir at sudhirkhanger.com
Mon Jun 2 01:38:28 UTC 2014

On Sunday, June 01, 2014 02:53:52 PM Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> I built a Fedora 20 system as a server, without a desktop.  It turns
> out, no X server is installed at all in that case.  I'd like to add a
> minimal X server without adding a complete desktop environment, so I can
> log in remotely and run system configuration tools.  The documentation
> I've found suggests
>
>         yum groupinstall "Basic X Window System"
>
> or
>
>         yum groupinstall "X Window System"
>
> but neither of those groups exist.  There is a Basic Desktop group, but
> it installs a bunch of unnecessary desktop tools.
>
> What's the best way to get just a basic X server in Fedora 20?
>
> TIA.
> --
> Matthew Saltzman
> Clemson University Math Sciences
> mjs AT clemson DOT edu

Have you checked out group "Basic Desktop"? If I ever want to go minimal I
tend to go along with i3. You should try that.

[donnie at fedora ~]$ yum group info "Basic Desktop"
Loaded plugins: changelog, fastestmirror, langpacks, local, refresh-
packagekit, show-leaves
 * fedora: mirror.cse.iitk.ac.in
 * rpmfusion-free: mirror.cse.iitk.ac.in
 * rpmfusion-free-updates: mirror.cse.iitk.ac.in
 * rpmfusion-nonfree: mirror.cse.iitk.ac.in
 * rpmfusion-nonfree-updates: mirror.cse.iitk.ac.in
 * tlp: repo.warpnine.de
 * tlp-updates: repo.warpnine.de
 * updates: mirrors.ispros.com.bd

Environment Group: Basic Desktop
 Environment-Id: basic-desktop-environment
 Mandatory Groups:
    base-x
   +basic-desktop
    core