QuickSynergy

Rick Stevens ricks at alldigital.com
Mon Jun 2 17:04:55 UTC 2014

On 06/02/2014 08:57 AM, Liam Proven issued this missive:
> On 30 May 2014 19:56, Rick Stevens <ricks at alldigital.com> wrote:
>> Hope that helps.
>
> Thanks very much for the exhaustive reply!
>
> Sadly not. I suspect it might be something to do with the odd network
> configuration at $JOB; my machines both have 2 different IP addresses
> on 2 different subnets.
>
> I've tried both IPs, although on one, they're on different 3rd octets
> and can't ping one another.
>
> I've tried running Synergy with ``sudo``. No difference.
>
> I've tried bumping the port # up from 24800 to 24801; no difference.
> (Obviously I changed it on both ends.)
>
> I've tried picking a random high port (42424); no difference.
>
> I've checked with ``lsof'' that nothing's using the standard ports - it isn't.
>
> I'm out of ideas, TBH.

Ok, the machines MUST be able to ping each other. If they can't, you
need to get that sorted first. If they have funky network configs, you
should try to ping via IP addresses instead of host names and see if
that works and you may have to add some routes to get it functional.
Note that the Synergy configs will work with IPs or hostnames (or
both), but the machines involved MUST be able to talk to each other.