QuickSynergy

Rick Stevens ricks at alldigital.com
Mon Jun 2 22:02:20 UTC 2014

On 06/02/2014 02:13 PM, Liam Proven issued this missive:
> On 2 June 2014 19:04, Rick Stevens <ricks at alldigital.com> wrote:
>> Ok, the machines MUST be able to ping each other. If they can't, you
>> need to get that sorted first. If they have funky network configs, you
>> should try to ping via IP addresses instead of host names and see if
>> that works and you may have to add some routes to get it functional.
>> Note that the Synergy configs will work with IPs or hostnames (or
>> both), but the machines involved MUST be able to talk to each other.
>

> Pinging works OK on the 192.168.v.w subnet that they're both in. But
> looking at ifconfig, the "real" address is a 10.x.y.z one and the
> 192.* one is... something else. They can ping each other on the 192.*
> address but not on the 10.* address.
>
> I can get the server to start on the host (i.e. with k/b & mouse) but
> the remote machine I want to control says it can't connect.

On the server, do the "netstat -lpnt" and make sure synergys is
listening on either 0.0.0.0:24800 or 192.168.v.w:24800. On my machine:

	# netstat -lpnt | grep synergy
	tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:24800           0.0.0.0:*
LISTEN      3988/synergys

The "0.0.0.0:24800" means that it's listening on all the IP addresses
my machine has and would allow any client to connect as long as the
client can connect to one of the addresses my machine uses. Think of
the "0.0.0.0" bit as a wildcard.

On the client, make sure you run

	synergyc -d ERROR 192.168.v.w

where "192.168.v.w" is the address of the server on that 192.168
network that the two machines share.

If you don't specify the server's IP address to the client, then the
client will probably be trying to connect over the OTHER network, and
no, that won't work.
- Treat each day as if it's your last...a lot of crying and whining  -
-      usually gets you what you want!              -- Sam Sledge    -