A word to the wise regarding failed fedup upgrades

Trever L. Adams trever at middleearth.sapphiresunday.org
Wed Jun 4 20:26:36 UTC 2014

On 06/04/2014 10:31 AM, Gary Stainburn wrote:
> On Wednesday 04 June 2014 17:16:54 Matthew Miller wrote:
>> On Wed, Jun 04, 2014 at 04:45:16PM +0100, Gary Stainburn wrote:
>>> If you try to fedup and the fedup doesn't work (completed but kernel
>>> panic on boot) don't try to 'yum erase' the duplicate RPM's. I goes
>>> through the uninstall process and removes all the GLIBC files and leaves
>>> you with a totally stuiffed server
>> Yes indeed. Instead, use `package-cleanup --cleandupes` (possibly with the
>> --noscripts flag if there are issues) from the yum-utils package.
> I so wish I knew that one as I now can't log out because I know that if  I do
> I can never log in again.  I'm desparately trying to do whatever rescue I can
> without being able to actually load anything

yum check

Then do yum install for anything missing. If you have missing
dependencies for that, contact me in private, I can provide specific
files for x86_64. That is assuming you can't fetch rpms and extract the
files manually.

I have had this happen even with the "proper" clean up methods several
times. It is a royal pain.

Trever