Save everybody some surprises in Fedora 22!

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Sat Jun 7 13:05:40 UTC 2014

On Sat, Jun 07, 2014 at 08:57:33 -0400,
  Tom Horsley <horsley1953 at gmail.com> wrote:
>On Sat, 7 Jun 2014 07:47:37 -0500
>Bruno Wolff III wrote:
>
>> For one thing the depsolving algorithm used by yum is slow.
>
>Not so an ordinary human could notice it compared (for
>example) to the time it takes to rebuild the rpms
>from the deltas.

That depends on how much stuff you update at once. Try updating 6000
packages (which I just did yesterday and will be doing again on
multiple systems after the mass rebuild) and you will notice some delay.
It can still be small compared to doing the actual updates, but when you
are trying to catch problems (that block lots of the updates) it can be
pain to have to wait before seeing what needs to be fixed.