Save everybody some surprises in Fedora 22!

Ranjan Maitra maitra.mbox.ignored at inbox.com
Mon Jun 9 13:31:51 UTC 2014

On Mon, 9 Jun 2014 08:30:01 -0400 Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 09, 2014 at 09:59:15AM +0200, Jan Zelený wrote:
> > > till October) will give folks plenty of time to hone their dnf skills.
> > > IMO, for many (majority?) it will be a drop-in replacement for yum.
> > Yes, that's the plan. There are some differences but they are all well
> > documented.
>
> Is the plan to actually rename dnf to yum at that point? If it is truly a
> drop-in replacement, that seems like the less disruptive approach for users
> (and scripts) everywhere.
>
> Additionally, in remembrance of Seth Vidal, I would hate to see Fedora lose
> 'yum'. Even if Seth would probably find that silly, it's important to me.

I agree with this sentiment. (Btw, I have no idea what all this
hullaballoo about yum is about. It is sometimes slow, but that is why I
have multiple tabs/windows -- carry on while it loads if needed. Of
course, different people have different comfort levels.)

Ranjan