Plymouth Uses Wrong Boot-up Theme

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Tue Jun 10 00:27:18 UTC 2014

Stephen Morris writes:

> Hi,
>     I have just configured Plymouth is install a graphical theme into the
> initrd. I specified that I wanted the 'Solar Flares' theme to be used, which
> correctly gets used at shutdown, but at start up the 'Solar Flares' theme is
> not used, instead the 'Hotdog' theme is used. Is this a bug in Plymouth or
> is this normal functionality?

You have to rebuild initramfs. Which is a pain; the easiest idiot-proof way
to do this is as follows:

1) Reboot, but select one of the older kernels from the grub menu, and boot
it.
2) After you boot, manually rpm -i the newest installed kernel
3) Run yum update to reinstall the newest kernel package.

After you reboot, you should have the new theme coming up when booting the
newest kernel.