Desktop Sharing from Windows 8.1

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed Jun 11 04:43:05 UTC 2014

On Tue, 2014-06-10 at 13:37 -0400, Temlakos wrote:
> I keep getting notices like this:
>
> "Desktop Sharing: refused uninvited connection attempt from..."
> followed by an IP address and port number. The IP address is that of
> the Windows 8.1 machine, which seems to be trying a different port
> each time.

Generally, that means the desktop interface (your windows, menus, mouse
and keyboard) can be remotely controlled/accessed from another computer.
So, using your Linux computer, you could act as if you were using your
Windows computer, or vice versa.

If you don't need that functionality, then deny it, and go through
reconfiguring your Windows machine to stop offering to share its
desktop.  Really, it shouldn't be making that attempt unless you
initiate it.  If it's doing it automatically, I wonder if you have a
compromised Windows box.

--
tim at localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp

Linux 3.14.5-200.fc20.i686 #1 SMP Mon Jun 2 15:03:19 UTC 2014 i686

All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted, there is no point trying
to privately email me, I will only read messages posted to the public lists.