Save everybody some surprises in Fedora 22!

Stephen Morris samorris at netspace.net.au
Wed Jun 11 21:35:30 UTC 2014

On 06/11/2014 07:51 AM, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 06/10/2014 02:13 PM, Stephen Morris wrote:
>>      I'm not saying there is any benefit of one over the other, all I am
>> saying is that the package manager I currently use seems to be using the
>> latter method when upgrades to the kmod.nvidia packages are required.
>
> I use yumex every morning to keep my desktop up-to-date, and I use
> kmod-nvidia.  When there's a new kernel, there's generally also a new
> kmod to match it, and the two get installed together.  When a new
> kernel gets installed, the oldest one I have gets removed, and yumex
> reports that it's removing the matching kmod as a dependency of the
> kernel.  I'm not sure, but I think that if I just used yum from a CLI,
> it would report things the same way.  What package manager are you using?
Hi Joe,
     I am using Smartpm as my package manager as the documentation for
Smartpm indicates it is more efficient than yum (I used Smartpm under
another distro which was also considering standardizing on Smartpm as
well) and in practice it seems to live up to its claims. Smartpm always
reports updates to the kmod.nvidia packages as removal of the old
package and install of the new package, whereas Yum and DNF seem to
report the update as an update. It seems to be only the kmod.nvidia
packages that it reports this way. The only time I use Yum to install
packages is when there seems to be too many packages to update for
Smartpm's transaction calculations to work (I've been in the situation
where I had left the calculation of what needed to be done running for
an hour without it ever finishing). I have also been in the situation
where I have had to hold off on system updates because a new kernel had
been released but the kmod.nvidia package hadn't been updated at the
same time. One of the claims from Smartpm is that Yum tends to inflate
its updates and updates packages that don't really need to be, whereas
Smartpm checks all installed package dependencies etc. and if your
package mix means that it would be a bad move to update a specific
package then it won't, and, depending on your point of view I have
occasionally seen evidence of that in terms of the volume of packages
going to be updated by both.
Just as a side issue, you mentioned that kernel updates remove the older
kernel, I have noticed the same thing and I have also had Smartpm tell
me that a new kernel can't coexist with the previous kernel. Is there
any way to change this, like is done in other distros, as this sort of
functionality annoys me, from the point of view that I have often been
in the situation where my system refused to boot from a new kernel
because of a kernel panic, so I had to fall back to the previous kernel
to boot so I could then remove the new kernel and wait for a further
kernel update to fix the issues. I would like to make the decision of
how many kernels I want to keep rather than the distro forcing what I
can do.

regards,
Steve