Plymouth Uses Wrong Boot-up Theme

Stephen Morris samorris at netspace.net.au
Thu Jun 12 22:37:11 UTC 2014

On 06/11/2014 07:35 AM, Stephen Morris wrote:
> On 06/10/2014 07:35 AM, Stephen Morris wrote:
>> Hi,
>>     I have just configured Plymouth is install a graphical theme into
>> the initrd. I specified that I wanted the 'Solar Flares' theme to be
>> used, which correctly gets used at shutdown, but at start up the
>> 'Solar Flares' theme is not used, instead the 'Hotdog' theme is used.
>> Is this a bug in Plymouth or is this normal functionality?
>>
>> regards,
>> Steve
>>

> Hi guys,
>     Thankyou for your responses, this is where I am confused about why
> it is not working correctly.
>
>     I issued the command       plymouth-set-default-theme -l    to get
> a list of all the themes that plymouth new about and how they were
> addressed.
>     I then issued the command     plymouth-set-default-theme -R
> solar    which the plymouth man page says is necessary to rebuild the
> initrd for plymouth to actually work.
>     As this was the first time I had attempted to use plymouth I
> rebooted to see if it had taken effect. When the shutdown screen
> displayed it displayed the plymouth solar theme (and has done so every
> shutdown since) but when selected the current kernel from the grub
> boot menu, it displayed the hotdog theme rather than the solar theme.
> What I don't understand is if the initrd hadn't been rebuilt as the
> man page said it would with the command used how are the plymouth
> themes even being used at all, and, why is the boot not using the
> right theme when the shutdown is?
This issue has now resolved itself. It appears that plymouth did not
rebuild the initrd properly when the configuration commands were issued.
I did a system update Wednesday morning where a new kernel was installed
and as a result of the initrd being rebuilt for that the correct
plymouth theme is now being used at boot time. I'm now debating whether
it is worth doing a bug report given that when the command   sudo
plymouth-set-default-theme -R solar   was issued it displayed a message
that it was rebuilding the initrd.
Thanks everyone for your help.