SSH question

Alchemist raimiiic at gmail.com
Thu Jun 12 22:57:16 UTC 2014

> Hi all!
>
> I feel dumb having to ask this, I feel I should know the answer, but
> can't dredge it up.
>
> I've recently installed F20 on my old eeepc, where it seems to run fine,
> btw, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to connect to it from
> another system with ssh.
>
> I've made sure that sshd is installed, and "systemctl list-unit-files"
> shows it as enabled. As far as I can figure out how to use the relatively
> new firewall app (and I have to admit some hesitance there since I'm
> not sure I really DO understand it...) the necessary ports are open.
>
> however when I attempt to connect to it with ssh from another box I get
> I get an instantaneous "ssh: connect to host 192.168.2.117 port 22:
> connection refused".  And when I attempt to connect back to itself:
> "ssh -X fredex at localhost" I get the same thing.
>
> If someone can give me a whack on the head (designed to joggle my brains
> a bitg--in a good way) I'd appreciate the guidance.
>
> thanks!

"connection refused" by receiving RST packet means port is closed, and no
process listens on port as Ed said

look through
a) if it runs on correct port (22) and interfaces

egrep "^Port|ListenAddress" /etc/ssh/sshd_config && netstat -ntlp | grep
sshd

b) check again for running firewall rules to filter inbound traffic with
tcp-reset option (I doubt, because "ssh -X fredex at localhost" fails too)

c) test manually

nc -4vi1 localhost 22

from remote pc
nc -4vi1 192.168.2.117 22

try to restart service, then and check logs

journalctl -xb _COMM=sshd