Kernel 3.14.5-200.fc20.x86_64 won't boot: module problem

Ahmad Samir ahmadsamir3891 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 13 15:46:33 UTC 2014

On 11/06/14 18:40, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Wed, 2014-06-11 at 20:01 +0530, Sudhir Khanger wrote:
>> Do you have RPMFusions's VB or the one from Oracle's repo? I found
>> RPMFusion's build problematic as they provide modules through kmod.
>> Akmod
>> can automatically build modules for you.
>>
>> So I have switched to Oracle's version. It comes
>> with /etc/init.d/vboxdrv
>> that you could run manually to build the modules using following
>> command.
>>
>> /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup
>
> I have the RPMfusion one. I'll remove it and try the Oracle one, thanks.
>
> poc

AFAICS, the RpmFusion package uses akmod not DKMS to build the kernel
module(s).

With kmod you have two options either install kmod-VirtualBox which has
pre-built kernel modules in which case you'll have to wait for the
package to get updated to get the modules for the updated kernel; or
install akmod-VirtualBox which should build the module at boot, of
course the build can fail and require a patch... etc.

--
Ahmad Samir