Kernel 3.14.5-200.fc20.x86_64 won't boot: module problem

Ahmad Samir ahmadsamir3891 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 13 18:16:26 UTC 2014

On 13/06/14 19:08, Sudhir Khanger wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 13, 2014 at 9:30 PM, Ahmad Samir <ahmadsamir3891 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I am not with or against using the package from upstream; but you could
>> remove kmod-VirtualBox and install akmod-VirtualBox and that one doesn't
>> depend of a specific kernel version as it's supposed to build the kernel
>> modules automatically for a new kernel.
>>

>> --
>> Ahmad Samir
>
> Sorry but my experience is that akmod keeps failing to build modules
> for the latest kernel.

Building the module with akmod could fail due to a problem on your
system or simply because the kernel modules fail to build with the newer
kernel, which means that it would fail to build with DKMS with the
upstream package too. (IIUC akmod and DKMS are two ways to build the
kernel module(s), different ways but the same end goal).

--
Ahmad Samir